Date: 4/14/18 3:13 pm
From: Sandy Selesky <sandyselesky...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Pileated at my suet
There is a pair of Pileated Woodpeckers hanging around the woods in my
condo community and especially near my unit. I'm hoping they might have a
nesting hole nearby. We've had Pileated Woodpeckers here before so this is
nothing new but they are always a thrill to see. After 32 years of hanging
bird feeders on the upper deck just 6 feet or so away from the glass slide
doors of our living room, and getting Downies, Hairies, Red-bellied
woodpeckers, and other birds enjoying the suet feeder, always wondering why
a Pileated, even in the harshest of winters, never paid a visit to it, it
finally happened. The female of the pair seems to have taken a liking to
the Nutty suet cake hanging from the pole on my deck railing!! My husband
yelled to me on Thursday to come quickly and there she was. I couldn't
believe my eyes and after taking some cell phone pictures of her that
morning I was finally able to get more decent pictures of her with my good
camera this afternoon when I lucked out again with another visit from her.
I saw her land on the deck railing first after watching those gorgeous
wings spread out as she flew across my backyard from a nearby tree and she
then spent over 6 minutes or so gorging herself at the suet. WOW! Then
she flew back into the woods. I don't know if she'll tell her mate about
this new food supply she's discovered or if she'll continue visiting
periodically but it certainly has been a wonderful surprise and a long time
coming! Does anybody else get Pileated woodpeckers on their deck feeders?
I never thought it was possible!!

Sandy Selesky
Westford, MA
<sandyselesky...>