Date: 4/14/18 2:39 pm
From: Elton Morel via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] NVBC walk at Conway-Robinson State Forest, Prince William county, Apr 14, 2018
VA Birders:

This morning, the Northern Virginia Bird Club held what I think was our first spring walk at Conway-Robinson State Forest near Gainesville, Prince William county.  The weather was hot and dry - it felt like summer already.  Bird activity was a bit on the low side - we collectively found 33 species.  I think the combination of still a bit on the early side of migration coupled with the very dry conditions at Conway held our species count rather low.  Nevertheless, we started out on a good note with a singing Blue-headed Vireo which was a first of season species for many of us.  Other first-of-season species were an occasionally singing but hard to locate White-eyed Vireo, a heard only singing Ovenbird and a Black-and-white Warbler.  There were also plenty of Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, Palm Warblers, Ruby-crowned Kinglets, Pine Warblers, Chipping Sparrows, two Hermit Thrushes viewed nicely as they were out in the open on the path, and  pair of Wood Ducks chasing each other through the forest.
The complete eBird checklist is below.
Elton MorelArlington, VA
Conway-Robinson State Forest, Prince William, Virginia, US
Apr 14, 2018 7:05 AM - 10:45 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.25 mile(s)
Comments: NVBC walk led by David Ledwith and Elton Morel.
33 species (+2 other taxa)

Canada Goose 2 Flyover
Wood Duck 2 Pair chasing each other through the trees
Black Vulture 1
Turkey Vulture 8
hawk sp. 1
Mourning Dove 3