Date: 4/14/18 10:04 am
From: Betsy True via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] American Bitterns at Jackson-Abbott Wildlife Refuge, Woodlawn, VA
Christine Magee and I birded the Jackson Abbott Wildlife Refuge today around 11AM.

Highlight was Chris spotting not one but TWO American Bitterns in the grasses near the platform overlooking the wetlands behind the pond. They did their "look straight up and no one will notice us in these reeds" thing. We got good looks and a picture taken through the scope:
https://flic.kr/p/J2nLz5

First time I've seen bittern there, very excited to see two--could they be a breeding pair?

The osprey did an interesting thing--it plunged, grabbed some marsh grass, and flew in climbing circles with the grasses clutched. I've seen osprey there take swamp grass, and mud, back to a nest under construction, but not this. Is this a breeding display of some kind?

Also seen:
Wood ducks (2 male)
Osprey (2)
Red shouldered hawk (2)