Date: 4/13/18 5:03 pm
From: RALPH ELDRIDGE <lightrae1...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] MACHIAS SEAL ISLAND REPORT

Migrants are showing themselves in abundance, as indicated by the reports
coming in fast and wide-spread.

Here on the island the Sparrows continue to dominate.
We have had helicopter traffic in recent days and the birds erupting from
the vegetation when a flight came really close pointed up how few birds we
actually see.

Today has produced a large flight of TREE SWALLOWS and numerous HERMIT
THRUSHES.
One Hermit discovered well disturbed earth under and near loads awaiting
airlift and the feeding must have been VERY good.
It chose to brazen out our presence and episodes of 50 knot helicopter
down-wash. At one point it hopped onto my foot and waiting until it could
return to digging for dinner.

The songbird species list hasn't changed much since yesterday but Raptors
certainly took over today.
From a single MERLIN early this morning, we got to 2 PEREGRINES, 3 MERLINS,
2 HARRIERS, 1 KESTREL and at least 2 SHARP SHINNED HAWKS hunting the island
more or less simultaneously.
The passerines were not happy. Several experienced close escapes. Others
experienced close encounters of the fatal kind.

HARLEQUIN DUCKS continue strong with 3-4 dozen around the island.

Shorebirds are virtually non-existent, although a single snipe-looking bird
flashed from cover to cover this afternoon.

A fair number of Alcids stayed ashore most of yesterday and a good
contingent returned in the evening to spend the night.
The reverse was true today with very few birds on the water today and
virtually no birds came ashore this evening.