Date: 4/13/18 3:56 pm
From: Clayton Koonce <cg.koonce...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Re: Green Heron location at Lake Kittamanqundi
On Thursday, April 12, 2018 at 5:57:46 PM UTC-4, Kelsey Wellons wrote:
> I have seen on eBird that the Green Heron is hanging around a beaver dam. I took a quick walk up the Sheraton side today (in-between being preoccupied with the eagles and heron) but did not see a beaver dam anywhere at the lake. I feel like it's something really obvious that I missed. If anyone can point to which side of the lake and north or south would be appreciated. My initial guess was the northeast side.

Yes, lodge, not dam. Chuck pasted my directions. Beavers have been at the lake for years and were sheltering in a burrow in a steep stream bank, and maybe what appeared to be a small lodge on the nearby Little Patuxent River. The lodge in question is fairly new, probably built since last fall. I may have stared right at it a few times before realizing it was a beaver lodge. Herons -- both green and great blue -- seem to like standing on it while fishing. Maybe the outskirts of the lodge trap fish in small pools, but I can't tell for sure from the observation point described in the directions. Note that I have looked for the green heron for the last couple of days and have not seen it on the lodge again or nearby. Perhaps a northern resident passing through, but it could be anywhere around the lake.

Clayton Koonce
Columbia, MD
member, Howard County Bird Club