Date: 4/13/18 3:41 pm
From: A. Liebner <000000d98121eaef-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Chipping Sparrows, Brown Headed Cowbirds and a , Wayne Twp. Sch. Co
Yes, as Herb said, "Tis the season".
 We caught a very large bear on the trail cam in our yard at 2:45am.  I didn't need the camera to let me know it was a bear that trashed most of our feeders.  Three black suet baskets were pulled down. One of my favorite cage feeders was completely trashed.  He added insult to injury by tramping on it after it fell...it was flattened on one side.  The solid metal roof was bent in half and the center basket which holds three cakes of suet was completely ripped out of it.  I was given a rather sturdy rooster shaped suet feeder that has a door. Thankfully, he managed to open the door to get the suet  & although he broke the hanging chain, he left the feeder intact.  The movable, metal outer cage on the tube feeder was bent inward.  However, I was able to pull it out so the cage is working as it should.   The only untouched feeder was on the ground ....it was filled with cracked corn.
The feeders will be brought inside each night.
I'm not so sure male bears hibernate- we had bears on the trail cams around our valley on December 29th, and most likely a different bear (determined by size) on January 30 at another location.
We had many Chipping Sparrows in the yard today. White throats were plentiful and singing.   Brown Headed Cowbirds joined the other blackbirds that visited the yard today.
Good Birrding,
Ann Liebner
Wayne Twp. Schuylkill County

Join us on Facebook!