Date: 4/13/18 3:44 pm
From: Fred Atwood via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] A few interesting Oakton Birds, Fairfax Co
1. This afternoon (Apr 13) while sitting at the stoplight at the
intersection 123 and Jermantown Rd in Oakton next to the Flint Hill School
East Campus, 4 Bonaparte's Gulls flew over! An interesting new bird for my
"yard list". It was species 175 for my eBird "Oakton" patch.
2. A little earlier, while watching the varsity boys lacrosse game at the
Flint Hill School West Campus, my FOY Broad-winged Hawk flew over.
3. While heading out to the woods this afternoon to check on frog activity
with my Field Natural History and Ornithology class, two meadowlarks were
in the baseball field and water retention drypond. This is only my 5th
record here on the West Campus, the other records being single birds in mid
April (twice) and mid October (twice).
4. All week 2 Yellow Palm Warblers have been present on the West Campus.
5. FOY Blue-gray Gnatcatchers arrived on Monday of this week at the border
of OakMarr Park and the West Campus.

BTW, if you know a teen who is interested in birds, Flint Hill School and
The Audubon Society of Virginia sponsor the Northern Virginia Teen Bird
Club. Interested students (grades 7-12) may contact me at
<fredatwood...> to let me know of their interest, CC-ing their
parents. We plan to be banding birds on Sunday afternoon at the FHS West
Campus 3320 Jermantown Rd, Oakton VA and will have several other field
trips and banding sessions during the school year.

All the best
Fred Atwood
Oakton, Fairfax Co