Date: 4/13/18 2:41 pm
From: 'The \Nunn Guy\' via Colorado Birds <cobirds...>
Subject: [cobirds] Re: Pawnee Grasslands 10April2018 (Weld)
Hi all

The Pawnee Disitrct Ranger responded a bit more today ...

Sorry it’s taken me a couple days to respond to your email. I’ve been out
of town.

We went down an extensive public involvement process centered around the
increased sports shooting uses a couple years back before the rest of the
forest was experiencing the same pressure and the decision outcome from
that process was to build the developed shooting range at Baker Draw.

Much of the shooting pressure/issues on the other forest districts evolves
around homes being built in areas historically used for target shooting.
The grassland does not dovetail into much of those scenarios and we had
already led the process in developing a shooting range to reduce the number
of dispersed shooters, so we have not been directly involved with that
additional forest process. I know for some folks it doesn’t seem like much,
but in reality, the developed shooting range has greatly reduced the
numbers of shooters along the roadways. In 2014 everyone who uses the Baker
Draw facility today, was simply lined up with everyone else along road 96.

The idea of establishing large shooting area bans is not really an option I
have readily available at my level. That really always becomes a Washington
Office affair along with numerous other state and local partners and other
interests. National forests and grasslands and most public lands aside from
national parks are open to hunting and recreational sport shooting.

I would be more inclined to discuss moving the bird tour route at this time
than trying to eliminate a large area from hunting and shooting. There are
numerous places on the grassland that see very little or no pressure from
hunting and shooting sports.

Shooters favor the road 96 area because they are familiar with it and it is
the first access point to the grassland along highway 14. We now have a
developed shooting range in that same area, so for shooters, that is the
area that most of them are familiar with. I realize similar feeling exists
for the bird tour, and that it was established there before the increased
popularity of sports shooting, but whether we like it or not , sport
shooting has increased in popularity as a recreational activity and numbers
have risen sharply, which prove that point.

I believe there are easy access routes to areas with far less shooting
pressure, having good birding opportunities, so I am more incline to see
that as a more readily doable fix and discussion right now in order to
accommodate the desires of all recreational users on the Pawnee National
Grassland.

Stop in and talk with me some more.

Thanks Gary Lefko, Nunn
http://coloradobirder.club/