Date: 4/13/18 7:31 am
From: <hilton...>
Subject: Hilton Pond 03/18/18 (Ducks, Raptors, Hummers)
The last half of March 2018 was wild and wooly weather-wise in much of the Carolina Piedmont, but that didn't interfere with plants starting to green up and animals beginning to stir. In our 18-31 Mar 2018 edition of "This Week at Hilton Pond" we take a look at some spring bird activity we observed (from ducks to raptors to passerines). We also make some suggestions about when folks further north might expect Ruby-throated Hummingbirds to arrive, noting that ours came right about on schedule near month’s end.

There’s also a nod to Dr. Whit Gibbons of herpetology fame, plus acknowledgements of supporters who recently contributed to the Center and Operation RubyThroat. And, of course, there are our usual lists of birds banded or recaptured during the period. To view our 671st installment, please visit https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.hiltonpond.org_ThisWeek180318.html&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=OOSC62R1GjRmmtUI2Q-QNt__RoONGCnzqPpJ8QCtobg&s=YaNfZ9p3UFUpKIRC6lYgQbHKT2Ihy2Oq3Xr8FgU0Skk&e=

Happy Nature Watching!

BILL

Please "Like" our new Facebook pages at https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.facebook.com_HiltonPond&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=OOSC62R1GjRmmtUI2Q-QNt__RoONGCnzqPpJ8QCtobg&s=qyKVJRTwqlHIisPPi09loflmN8MTK-ALDFC7rsJbKNU&e= for timely updates on nature topics,
and for info about hummingbirds at https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.facebook.com_rubythroats&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=OOSC62R1GjRmmtUI2Q-QNt__RoONGCnzqPpJ8QCtobg&s=4AaheoVKJjM7iS7wZTSDCm6PlxGNjfCM_yX4JieMYJg&e=

Follow us on Twitter @hiltonpond

========

DR. BILL HILTON JR., Executive Director
office & cell (803) 684-5852

The mission of Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History is "to conserve plants, animals, habitats, and other natural components of the Piedmont Region of the eastern United States through observation, scientific study, and education for students of all ages.

"Never trust a person too lazy to get up for sunrise or too busy to watch the sunset." BHjr.

Join us on Facebook!