Date: 4/12/18 4:34 pm
From: Ellie George <elgeorge46...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] Whitney Creek waterfowl and still 3 Snowies in Bridport
We paddled Whitney Creek from the Rt. 125 boat launch at mid-day today and
found a large diversity of waterfowl and other birds:

Caspian Terns-pair fishing

Kingfisher

Great Blue Heron

Ospreys-3 pair nest building

Bald Eagle-immature

Canada Geese

Mallards

Black Ducks

Ring-necked Ducks

Wigeon

Gadwalls

Wood Ducks

Green-winged Teal

Blue-winged Teal

Hooded Merganser

There was also a Carolina Wren singing near the boat launch.

In Bridport we found a continuing juvenile female Snowy Owl on the north
side of Middle Rd. about a quarter mile W of Basin Harbor Rd. A very white
snowy, probably an adult and an owl I have not seen before this winter, was
on the W side of Basin Harbor Rd. about a quarter mile N of Swinton Rd.
Finally, a light snowy was on a fence post S of Crown Point Rd. about a
quarter mile W of Basin Harbor Rd. We saw all of these owls just before
the rain and right after it started.

Also on Middle Rd. near the first owl, a female Northern Harrier was
hunting. Near the owl on Basin Harbor Rd., a female light-phase
Rough-legged Hawk was perched in a red cedar.

This is the latest date I have ever seen Snowy Owls. I have been visiting
Addison County every week since mid-December to observe snowies, and I am
very interested to learn when they all leave. If you see any snowies this
spring, please post to the list or email me privately.

Thank you!

Ellie George

Paradox, NY

Join us on Facebook!