Date: 4/12/18 11:17 am
From: Roger Kuhlman <rkuhlman...>
Subject: [birders] Something very unusual happened to the local Butterfly Season
Finally the first butterflies of the Season showed up today in Southeast Michigan. I had two Mourning Cloaks around noontime along one of the trails at the Botanical Gardens in Ann Arbor.

This is the 22nd season I have doing Butterfly Surveys in the Southeast Michigan area--primarily Washtenaw country but also parts of Wayne, Monroe, and Lenawee county. In the first 21 years the first butterfly was always sighted at least by the end of March and in two of those seasons we had February butterflies including last year. So a first sighting date of April 12 is very unusual.

Roger Kuhlman

Ann Arbor, Michigan

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<DM5PR14MB14335D3E34CC35FE90C16554C5BC0...>