Date: 4/11/18 4:22 pm
From: 'Hugh Kingery' via Colorado Birds <cobirds...>
Subject: [cobirds] House Sparrow decline - Front Range

Twenty-one people responded to my query about House Sparrows.
Most (17) noted diminishing numbers or total absence. They live from Colorado Springs through metro Denver to Longmont and Boulder. Examples:
None in over a year (Gloria Nikolai, Colo Spgs);
None this year (Don Hall, Highlands Ranch);
Only 1 or 2, compared with half a dozen in past years (Keith Hidalgo, Lakewood);
Disappeared from our back yard completely, and rarely see them in the south Suburban area (Mary Fran O'Connor);
Definitely fewer over the years (Jean Stevenson, Aurora);
Big decline after the rains and flood of Sep 2013 (Todd Deininger, Longmont);
From 1996-2015, HOSP on 30.16% of my Colo. checklists; from 2015-2018, on 13.44% of my checklists. And in my backyard, from 1996-2015, on 58.21%checklists. So far in 2018, not a single one! (Richard Trinker, Boulder).
On the Denver Urban CBC, counts of 183 in 1/1/2017 and 311 in1/1/2018 -- the lowest in its history; with an average over 30 years of 1721. They usedto outnumber House Finches (also declining) but now amount to half the numberof finches. Top count 2583 in 12/30/1989. The drop started 1/1/2011.

On the other hand, Patrick O'Driscoll (east Denver) noted a drop from winter counts of 25-30 to 10-12 the past few weeks -- the dispersal for nesting noted by Nick Komar.
And three observers say the still have lots: Rebecca Laroche in central Denver, Marsha Heron in Centennial, and Jamie Simo in Longmont.

Hugh Kingery