Date: 4/11/18 3:04 pm
From: John Weeks via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Kestrel - Granby, Holcomb Farm
Holcomb Farm has hosted a pair of Kestrels for several years. The nest box they’ve been using is on the South Barn, which is teetering on the verge of collapse (a serious effort is underway to save it). Other raptors were quite active in the area today: at least two (possibly four) Bald Eagles, an immature Cooper’s Hawk and two Red-tails.

I spent over an hour watching a small band of Cedar Waxwings as they worked their way silently through a grove of cedars festooned with bittersweet, but didn’t see the Bohemian Waxwing that Chris and I found on Sunday.

Holcomb Farm, Hartford, Connecticut, US
Apr 11, 2018 10:10 AM - 12:34 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.4 mile(s)
Comments: Searched in vain for Sunday's Bohemian Waxwing. I did find at least five Cedar Waxwings foraging in the same area.
29 species

Great Blue Heron 1
Turkey Vulture 4
Cooper's Hawk 1
Bald Eagle 2 At least two adult birds. There were possibly four individuals, as I had four distinct sightings in the short space of ten minutes.
Red-tailed Hawk 2
Mourning Dove 1
Belted Kingfisher 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 1
Downy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 2
American Kestrel 1 A Kestrel pair has nested at Holcomb Farm in recent years. This bird bears watching.
Eastern Phoebe 1
Blue Jay 1
American Crow 14
Tree Swallow 3
Black-capped Chickadee 9
Tufted Titmouse 3
Eastern Bluebird 4 In suitable breeding habitat.
Northern Mockingbird 3
European Starling 1
Cedar Waxwing 5
White-throated Sparrow 1