Date: 4/11/18 2:12 pm
From: David Weaver <cygnus-dkw...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Scotland Rd & Plum Island - 04-11-2018
David Moon and I led today's edition of Wednesday Morning Birding out of
Joppa Flats Education Center.  We began the morning at the Common
Pasture on Scotland Road and finished on Sandy Point. Skies were partly
cloudy, temps in the low 40s, and winds S-SW/5-10 mph.

Our list:

Scotland Road --
Canada Goose
Eurasian Wigeon (1)
American Wigeon (~ 30)
American Black Duck (2) - pr.
Green-winged Teal (~ 30)
Ring-necked Duck (2) - pond at jct. of Scotland Rd. & Highfield St.
Great Egret (1)
Glossy Ibis (11)
Turkey Vulture (2)
Cooper's Hawk (1) - female flew in and took drake Green-winged Teal on
Common Pasture - quite the scene!
Wilson's Snipe (5) - no doubt there were more.
Blue Jay (2)
American Crow (5)
Black-capped Chickadee (1)
Tufted Titmouse (1)
American Robin - common.
European Starling
Song Sparrow - common.
Northern Cardinal (~ 5)
Red-winged Blackbird - common.
Common Grackle

Plum Island --
Brant (~ 15) - Sandy Pt.
Canada Goose - common.
Mute Swan (2)
Gadwall (6)
American Black Duck (4)
Mallard - a few.
Northern Shoveler (10) - North Pool Overlook.
Surf Scoter (1) - one ocean.
White-winged Scoter (~ 6) - one ocean.
Black Scoter (2) - one ocean.
Long-tailed Duck (~ 20) - one ocean.
Bufflehead (4) - 2, NPO; 2, Bill Forward Pool.
Red-breasted Merganser (5) - various.
Red-throated Loon (3) - one ocean.
Common Loon (2) - one ocean.
Horned Grebe (1) - one ocean.
Great Blue Heron (2)
Great Egret (~ 15)
Osprey (1) - Pines platform.
Bald Eagle (1) - 3rd yr., flyover, NPO.
Northern Harrier (3) - 2 males, 1 female.
Red-tailed Hawk (1)
Piping Plover (~ 17) - Sandy Pt.
Killdeer (2) - pannes.
Herring Gull
Black-backed Gull
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Tree Swallow(2) - pannes.
American Robin - common.
Northern Mockingbird (2) - Sandy Pt.
European Starling
Song Sparrow - common.
Dark-eyed Junco (2) - S-curves.
Red-winged Blackbird - common.
Common Grackle
House Finch (3) - Hellcat parking area.
American Goldfinch (1) - flyover parking lot #1.
House Sparrow

We will meet again next week back at Joppa Flats at 0930 for Wednesday
Morning Birding. For more information about Joppa Flats programs, call
David Moon or Dave Larson at 978-462-9998.

Dave Weaver
Manchester, MA 01944
<cygnus-dkw...>

Join us on Facebook!