Date: 4/10/18 9:03 pm
From: Jim Berry <jim.berry3...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Topsfield Fairgrounds, Willowdale SF, and Crane Beach, Apr 10, 2018
Topsfield Fairgrounds

Apr 10, 2018 7:30 AM - 7:50 AM

Comments: Strickland Wheelock met me at the fairgrounds for a morning of birding. Highlight here was a continuing pair of shovelers. We saw no snipe and no swallows.
7 species (+1 other taxon); partial list

Canada Goose 7
Northern Shoveler 2
Mallard 2
Mallard x American Black Duck (hybrid) 1
Green-winged Teal (American) 30
Killdeer 5

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44444070

Willowdale SF (east), Ipswich
Apr 10, 2018 8:10 AM - 10:20 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Comments: We then walked a 2-mile loop in the forest. Though I heard several pine warblers here last week, we found none today, nor palm warblers nor kinglets.
28 species (+1 other taxon); partial list:

Wood Duck 1
American Black Duck 2
Great Blue Heron 2 Flew over a large open swamp. No nests visible.
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Mourning Dove 7
Barred Owl 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Downy Woodpecker 2
Hairy Woodpecker 2
Eastern Phoebe 4
Blue Jay 5
Black-capped Chickadee 13
Tufted Titmouse 8
Red-breasted Nuthatch 1
White-breasted Nuthatch 7
Brown Creeper 3
Eastern Bluebird 1
Song Sparrow 8
Swamp Sparrow 1
Northern Cardinal 1
Red-winged Blackbird 14
Brown-headed Cowbird 5
Common Grackle 10
Purple Finch 1
American Goldfinch 3

View this checklist online athttps://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44444560

Crane Beach, Ipswich
Apr 10, 2018 10:50 AM - 12:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.5 mile(s)
Comments: Then we sampled the beach for a quarter-mile in each direction. Highlight was 8 piping plovers.
16 species; partial list:

American Black Duck 3
Common Eider 90
White-winged Scoter 2
Long-tailed Duck 4
Wild Turkey 2
Common Loon 2
Great Egret 3
Piping Plover 8 4 were together, calling and chasing. Could have been pair formation, courtship, territorial behavior, or a combination of these. We were standing close to them but they seemed to pay us no attention in their excitement.
Herring Gull 15 very few gulls!
Great Black-backed Gull 4
Northern Mockingbird 1
American Tree Sparrow 2
Song Sparrow 3

View this checklist online athttps://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44452819

Before driving to the beach, we stopped briefly on Northgate Rd. and counted a dozen snipe.

Jim Berry, Ipswich, Mass.
<jim.berry3...>

http://www.avg.com

Join us on Facebook!