Date: 4/10/18 12:40 pm
From: Barbara Brosnan <bbrosnan...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] question about yarn for nesting birds
My mother used to put colored yarn and string out for orioles and we kids
frequently found these colorful pieces in their nests when they fell from
our willow. I still put out short pieces of around 6 - 8"" or so in a wire
suet cage, and the orioles who nest in our willow make good use of them. We
have had a robin or two use them and one particularly beautiful moss-covered
phoebe nest was lined with bright fuchsia yarn my daughter-in-law gave me.
We often see other birds stripping nesting materials from "our" orioles'
nests once they are done with it.

About 7 or 8 years ago another type of nesting material was stolen by the
orioles from an old plastic blue tarp we had over a wood pile. For the
following three years those bright blue shreds were recycled into another
oriole nest and into the nests of other birds. One piece is still stuck in
a hydrangea tree in our garden. We have not seen any tragedies so far.
Good luck to you and the birds.

Barbara Brosnan
Weybridge