Date: 4/9/18 8:46 pm
From: Harry Glasgow via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk
It was a cold raw morning as 18 birders gathered for the Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk.  We spotted 60 species.  Some of our highlights included a Caspian Tern high overhead, a growing number of both species of Kinglets, a large number of Blue-Gray Gnat catchers, and an increasing number of waterfowl.

Canada Goose  18
Wood Duck  17
Blue-winged Teal  4
Northern Shoveler  11
Gadwall  8
Mallard  9
Green-winged Teal  2
Hooded Merganser  8
Pied-billed Grebe  1
Great Blue Heron  6
Black Vulture  4
Turkey Vulture  8
Osprey  2
Cooper's Hawk  1
Bald Eagle  3
Red-shouldered Hawk  2
American Coot  7
Ring-billed Gull  3
Caspian Tern  1
Mourning Dove  7
Barred Owl  1
Red-headed Woodpecker  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  7
Downy Woodpecker  6
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  5
Pileated Woodpecker  3
Eastern Phoebe  2
Blue Jay  6
American Crow  5
Fish Crow  6
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  3
Tree Swallow  15
Barn Swallow  4
Carolina Chickadee  12
Tufted Titmouse  8
White-breasted Nuthatch  4
Carolina Wren  8
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  12
Golden-crowned Kinglet  2
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  7
Eastern Bluebird  4
Hermit Thrush  2
American Robin  50
Gray Catbird  1
Palm Warbler  16
Pine Warbler  7
Yellow-rumped Warbler  15
Chipping Sparrow  2
White-throated Sparrow  20
Song Sparrow  6
Swamp Sparrow  11
Northern Cardinal  15
Red-winged Blackbird  50
Brown-headed Cowbird  2
Rusty Blackbird  50
Common Grackle  5
House Finch  2
American Goldfinch  15
House Sparrow  2

The Monday Morning Birdwalk has been a weekly event at Huntley Meadows since 1985. It takes place every week, rain or shine (except during electrical storms, strong winds, or icy trails), at 7AM (8AM from October through  March), is free of charge, requires no reservation, and is open to all. Birders meet in the parking lot at the Park's entrance at 3701 Lockheed Blvd, Alexandria, VA. Questions should be directed to Park staff during normal business hours at (703)768-2525.

Harry Glasgow
Nancy VehrsFriends of Huntley Meadows Park

-
-
-
-