Date: 4/9/18 4:10 pm
From: susieq--- via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Acronyms
Arthur i saw a Palm warbler at Mondo ponds . at least 3 osprey., a green heron, a great egret. snowy woodpeckers .a great blue heron and a variety of other birds
Sent from my Virgin Mobile Phone.
------ Original message------From: Arthur Shippee via CTBirds Date: Sun, Apr 8, 2018 11:11 PMTo: CT Birds;Cc: Subject:Re: [CT Birds] Acronyms
There was a recent post rather heavy on the acronyms. I found it fun to work them out, but I can understand that it may have proved puzzling to many.

I think the policy is to spell out the names at least once, to aid in searching records.

The acronym rule is easy enough. One-word bird names: first four letters: GADW, Gadwall.

Two-word: first two letters of each word: COHA, Cooper’s Hawk.

Three-word: first letter of first two words, two letters of third: SSHA, Sharp-shinned Hawk.

Is there a four-word name?

Finally, I’ve heard of reports of Palm Warblers (PAWA) – who else has seen them?

Sent from my iPhone