Date: 4/9/18 1:53 pm
From: Sean Williams <seanbirder...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Race Point activity?
Hi Karen,

Race Point has been variably amazing and slow. For the last couple weeks,
the activity has been spectacular, with thousands of alcids, gulls, and
ducks. This past weekend, however, was quiet. It really does change
significantly day to day. I encourage you to check the eBird hotspot page
for Race Point for recent checklists that have been submitted-
https://ebird.org/hotspot/L364733

Alan Kneidel and I discovered a massive raft of ~3,000 Red-throated Loons
foraging off Newcomb Hollow Beach in Wellfleet. We counted them with a
clicker and got 2,958. There were Red-throated Loons literally as far as
the eye could see. I recommend anyone passing through to stop to witness
this spectacle- https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44388254

The Sandwich Marina at the east end of the Cape Cod Canal is currently
hosting a splendid male "Northern" Common Eider. It was present and easily
viewed on April 5th and 7th. Photos can be seen here-
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44387908

Good birding,
Sean

--