Date: 4/9/18 12:57 pm
From: Jacob Mathison <jacobmathison1...>
Subject: [COBOL] Burns area birds and trip home to Corvallis
Hi all,
Had a nice weekend leading tours at the Harney County Migratory Bird
Festival and birding the area on my own. It's still a bit early for the
really good birds down there, but I still had some nice sightings.

Around Burns, the highlights were a EURASIAN WIGEON at Hotchkiss Lane (one
person on my tour saw two), two HARLAN'S RT HAWKS at Greenhouse Lane x Hwy
20, and of course the spectacle of ROSS'S and SNOW GEESE (with seemingly
more Snow Geese than last year; I would say maybe 5% Snow Geese). The water
was down a LOT this year, and I think we have a very dry year coming down
there.

On the refuge, the HARRIS'S SPARROWS and FOX SPARROW at the HQ, which have
been discussed already, were a highlight. Just to be clear, that is
Harris's SparrowS; there were TWO on April 5th. A SHORT-EARED OWL was at
the Boat Launch Rd. (that is closed, but the tour guide had special
permission). There were five VIRGINIA RAILS at Page Springs, as always, and
another birder had some SORAs there.

On the way home, I stopped at Hatfield Lake in Bend. Mostly normal birds
there, but two RED-NECKED PHALAROPES were there, which were rare according
to eBird. Also had ten DUNLIN there, but no luck with the previously
reported BN Stilts.

Back in Corvallis, I got the two SABINE'S GULLS and 15 RN PHALAROPES that
have been reported already. Also, I have been catching up on arriving
warblers and the other old news around here after my trip to Mexico. More
on that after I get through my thousands of photos.

Photos of all these birds are, or soon will be, on eBird.

Good birding,

Jacob Mathison
jacobmathison1.wixsite.com/nature-photography

<http://jacobmathison1.wixsite.com/nature-photography>
"If you keep a green tree in your heart, perhaps a singing bird will
come." ~Chinese Proverb