Date: 4/9/18 11:38 am
From: Johnathon Benson <johnathonl87...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Drumlin Farm Saw-Whet Owl
Apologies for the late posting!

On Saturday evening I led a Woodcock walk with our Teen Birders. We were unsuccessful in finding any but did have quite a few surprising finds. During our dinner the kids noticed a woodpecker outside. We got on it and were able to identify a Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker that gave quite good and extended looks. Later on, while walking the trails, we encountered two Eastern Screech Owls (One in flight over the Drumlin).

Near the end of our program my fellow leaders and I heard a rather loud and close Northern Saw-Whet Owl near where we do our banding for the species in the end of the year. This was approximately at 9 pm. It was a huge surprise for us as it was the bittersweet departure of our coordinator and camp director. Surely an amazing way to end our program.

For any birders looking to seek out the owl, our trails are open from dawn to dusk. If you can get close to the farm I would advise people to be on the lookout!

Good birding,

Johnathon Benson
Mass Audubon
Waltham, MA