Date: 4/9/18 10:06 am
From: <baikalteal13...> <baikalteal13...>
Subject: [birders] Field Trip report - Oakland Audubon - Illinois Prairie-Chicken trip
Folks, Seventeen (yes, seventeen in six cars) hardy birders ventured forth on Friday to Illinois in search of the Greater Prairie-chicken. Friday was cold and windy as we birded from southwestern Michigan, across Indiana to Illinois. After having visited Southwest Michigan Regional Airport, Reynold&rsquo;s Creek Gamebird Habitat area, Kankakee Sands and lots of farmland, we landed in Newton, Illinois. Bright and early Saturday morning (5 AM), we headed out to the lek and awaited their arrival. Right on cue, 14 Greater Prairie-chickens came out to dance and jump for the girls. It was a wonderful sight and, despite the cold and wind, everyone was very happy. We then proceeded to bird across southern Illinois to Stephen A. Forbes State park, Douglas-Hart Nature center and on to Terra Haute. The next morning we, birded Goose Pond FWA and then headed toward home. With a stop at Kinderhook Sewage lagoons, we concluded our trip. 1200 miles of driving and 95 species later, we were all happy. Highlights included lots of ducks, plenty of hawks (Red-shouldered, Red-tailed, Rough-legged, Northern Harrier, Bald Eagle, Sharp-shinned), American White Pelicans, American Golden Plovers, swallows and Purple Martin, Carolina Chickadee, Western Meadowlark, Black-necked Stilts and Snow Goose. Another fun trip with a fun group. All species seen can be found shortly in our field trip report section. Don Burlett
Buckingham Confirms Unfortunate News
risingstarnewspaper.com
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3241/5acb9d76ae1801d76090dst02vuc

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org