Date: 4/9/18 8:25 am
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Dennis Oliver
Thanks to John Nelson for the following.

Barbara Volkle
Northborough, MA
<barb620...>

*

From: John Nelson <jnelson...>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2018 10:16:46 -0400

David and Massbirders,

I first met Dennis and David on my first international birding tour, a
Brookline Bird Club trip to Ecuador. They were both extremely friendly to
me and my wife Mary and enormously helpful as I bumbled around as a novice
birder out of my depth. Later I got to work with Dennis when he coordinated
the annual breeding bird survey at the Ipswich River WS. For those who
didn't know Dennis, he was a topnotch birder but, more importantly, a warm
and deeply kind human being who worked to conserve birds and represented
the best of the birding community. He had a long, hard struggle with his
health, and I was so pleased when I had a chance to chat with him at a BBC
lecture last year. I'm saddened by his loss and by David's great loss. I'll
miss Dennis, a wonderful man.

John Nelson
Gloucester

On Sun, Apr 8, 2018 at 7:35 PM, David Oliver <davido401...> wrote:

> Hello Massbirders,
>
> My best friend, my fellow birding companion for 45 years, and my twin
> brother passed away on Saturday morning. He put up a strong fight but got
> much worse since January and he finally lost that battle. He will be waked
> at Keefe Funeral Home on Chestnut Street in Arlington on Tuesday from 5 to
> 8 pm. I thank everyone who has already sent me thoughts and prayers and
> everyone else who will.
>
> I will miss talking with him ever day but I will remember all the great
> times we birded together with all our birding friends across the country
> and the world. There have been so many great people that we shared birds
> with. You know what would please him, if he knew that everyone who has
> birded with him remembers, after reading this, a special or ordinary time
> you spent with him in the field sharing your love for birds. I couldn't do
> much for him at the end, but tell him about the robins who have suddenly
> sprung up everywhere or about all the grackles in the trees outside his
> hospital window, even though he couldn't see them. His favorite was the
> resident turkey outside Spaulding Hospital and when he was coherent would
> always ask about that turkey when I came to visit.
>
> Dennis and I were born together and I'd like to think holding hands. On
> Saturday we held hands again.
>
> David Oliver
>

> David Oliver
> Arlington, MA 02476