Date: 4/9/18 5:18 am
From: John Weeks via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Acronyms
Hi, all,

As someone who uses the four-letter codes regularly (they fit handily onto the small cards and pocket notebooks I use in the field), I find I have a foot in both camps.

The compromise already mentioned is the position I would advocate: spell out the bird's common name the first time you mention it, then feel free to use the four-letter code as an abbreviation elsewhere in the same post. Thus, today's Purple Finch at the feeder becomes PUFI later in the same message. Anyone can follow that. By the same logic, please refrain from using the four-letter codes in the SUBJECT line. I appreciate the fact that this imposes a slight burden on birders who use their mobile devices and have to type messages on those tiny keyboards. However, hard writing makes easy reading, and that is what matters the most.

John Weeks
North Granby