Date: 4/9/18 5:12 am
From: Thomas Salo <salothomas...> [osbirds] <osbirds...>
Subject: Re: [osbirds] Yellow-bellied Sapsucker with a Black crown
That's interesting. It is also interesting that the photos came through in
the email. That is not supposed to happen.

On the subject of odd sapsuckers, a few years ago I got a call from the
Town of Hartwick. Someone had a yellow and black woodpecker in their yard.
Nothing was making much sense until I went over to look at it. It was a
sapsucker on which all the normally white feathers were yellow.

Tom Salo

On Apr 8, 2018 4:17 PM, "Kathryn & Al Davino <davino...> [osbirds]"
<osbirds...> wrote:

> I’ve been delighted to have a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker with a black crown
> (a female?) “tapping” a maple tree directly in front of my kitchen window
> for about 2 hours this afternoon. At one point, it left and a red squirrel
> took over lapping up the leaking sap. The black crown was confusing at
> first. Lucky I got the 2016 edition of Sibley’s book. It actually has a
> sketch of this unusual variant! The older edition did not have it. I’ll try
> to attach 2 photos that I was able to get and crop…
>
> ~Kathryn Davino

All postings to osbirds are protected by copyright law.

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)