Date: 4/8/18 8:37 pm
From: Craig Miller <gismiller...>
Subject: [COBOL] Crooked River Windlands
Hi all,

Marilyn and I decided we had to get out for a walk today, despite the 40
mph winds. Carrying a scope was out of the question, and even the
binoculars were shaking too much to see well. Nonetheless, there were some
interesting birds.

As might be expected, small birds were all but nonexistent. The only small
birds we saw were several Savannah Sparrows. A few Marsh Wrens were singing
in the cattails by the river, and an American Pipit was heard calling
overhead.

An early Spotted Sandpiper was a surprise.

Other highlights include:
Greater White-fronted Goose - 4
Tundra Swan - 4
Cinnamon Teal - 31
Northern Pintail - 4
Common Goldeneye - 8
Barrow's Goldeneye - 3
Common Merganser - 3
Swainson's Hawk - 1
Virginia Rail - 1
Dunlin - 3
Cliff Swallow - 6
Tricolored Blackbird - 1 female

I was half-expecting to see a Sooty Shearwater, or some other pelagic bird,
but there was not even a gull.

Cheers,

Craig Miller
Bend