Date: 4/8/18 7:02 pm
From: MICKY KOMARA via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Ibises back in Hammock River Marsh, Clinton
I've been keeping an eye out for the horde of ibis that descend on Hammock and Indian Rivers. Today I spotted at least 60, maybe even 80 at the bridge on Beach Park Road, just a little further down from the preserve parking . But before I could check each and every one for the white-faced ibis that usually hangs with this group, the horde flew to forage just up marsh, but unfortunately to where there is no public access and great amount of heartbreaking housing development on the north side of the marsh. Unbelievably extensive. In the past two years or so, I have witnessed one linear mile of housing development along this marsh. This is why I work for a land trust.

I drove around that marsh twice, and could see from the south side (in between private homes) that the ibises where foraging in the marsh just off the private development. I waited near Hammock River causeway and behind ShopRite to see if the ibises would keep moving east, but I ran out of time. I even went back to Indian River Cemetery and McCusker Landing behind Clinton Town Hall to see if they doubled back and flew west, but they did not. Also, last year, when the ibises disappeared for a while, I dashed in and out of yet another private development on Hammock River Marsh near Clinton Town Beach to confirm that the ibises where indeed all hanging in the marsh just off this development. Hopefully they will show their lovely little faces where we can see them sometime soon.

With them, 2 little blue heron, a great egret, and a greater yellowlegs.

M Komara