Date: 4/8/18 6:50 pm
From: Glenn d'Entremont <gdentremont1...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Possible Eared Grebe-Minot, North Scituate, 4/8/18
Today, 4/8/18, an almost complete breeding plumage grebe was observed in the choppy waters off of the seawall at Minot, North Scituate on Glades Road before the Glades entrance.

This bird was constantly diving plus with the wave action could not be seen consistently nor for more than a second or two at any given time. I never got on it with a scope and the other person with a scope got on it for momentary periods, but not often.

It was not far off the shore; inside the farthest rocks and even the second line of rocks. The tide was rising as it was 2:00 pm ish.

The bird appeared to have a black neck and a wispy yellow "fan" opened toward the rear of the neck over the rear of the face. This is more in line with Eared than Horned. Little could be confirmed about the shape of the head or the shape of the back as the situation of wave action, white caps, wind causing shaky scopes made this close to impossible.

We could clearly see the red color several times coming in on the Red-necked Grebes at this site which we were observing with the same conditions so feel we should have seen the red color on this grebe as well as the more solidly yellow patch on the face if Horned.

Interesting there was an Eared Grebe reported on the Marshfield CBC on December 30, 2017 at 4th Cliff, Hummarock.

It would be nice if someone can check this area tomorrow (Monday 4/9).

Thanks.

Glenn

Glenn d'Entremont: <gdentremont1...> Stoughton, MA

Join us on Facebook!