Date: 4/8/18 6:17 pm
From: Shea Tiller via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Brief report on Chincoteague/thanks to all who replied to my RFI
Greetings, all.

Below is a brief report on my visit to Chincoteague a couple of days ago.
I'd like to say thank you to Wes Teets, Bill Hohenstein, and William Leigh
for responding in depth to my RFI. These responses were very helpful in
finding my targets.

On the way to Chincoteague I stopped at a couple of spots in Williamsburg
where I found my FOY/FOS palm warbler. At Cape Charles Harbor I found some
horned grebes that were transitioning to breeding plumage and some very
distant shorebirds that may have been purple sandpipers.

At Chincoteague itself I found three piping plovers (a target species for
the trip) on the little island in Swan Cove. I found two groups of
black-bellied plovers (another target species) on the sand between Tom's
Cove and the beach, and a number of distant gannets out over the ocean.

Later in the day I found a whimbrel feeding with a good-sized group of
marbled godwits (another target species) in Swan Cove. I gave a half-hour
try at the sparrows on boardwalk bridge at high tide, but there was a ton
of wind and the land birds weren't active even in the more sheltered forest
on the woodland trail.

The high winds aside it was a very successful trip!

Great birding,

Shea