Date: 4/8/18 4:47 pm
From: Stephen Thomas <rubberhead...>
Subject: Re: Duckhunting.com vs Carolinabirds

I understand and have always tried, very hard, to abide by the rules of Carolinabirds and I will continue to do so in this reply and all future posts on the Carolinabird list serv.

I am passionate about both birding and duck hunting. I hope, at 53, I fit Frank’s description of “rather young.” Regardless, I agree with Frank.

I will say from hanging around with both groups and being somewhat active in both on-line communities, birders can stand to learn a lot from hunters.

Hunters, because of the money they inject into the process, are very objective and data driven. Waterfowl seasons and limits are based annually on very expensive and thorough surveys with data run through very complicated formulas. Google “adaptive harvest management” if you want to know more. Most hunters don’t understand all the math but they know, in general, how the principles apply and affect what they do.

Hunters are much more pragmatic about the world around them than birders. They function very well in the “gray” areas and are not nearly, on average, as absolute or dogmatic about things as birders.

Hunters are much more accepting of others than birders. (I bet almost everyone who read this far just gasped at the idea.) Everyone on the “duck sites” knows I am a birder. It doesn’t bother them one bit. I can and often times do discuss birding on the hunting sites while hunting is a regulated to rarely discussed topic on a birding site. Please don’t respond with a list of reasons why this is – I get it, believe me.

Birders and non-game birds benefit from all the public and private land that is set aside and managed for hunting. The land and monies are there either directly from hunters, indirectly from excise taxes or legislatively dictated from the well-coordinated lobby effort of the hunting community. It's hard to get 10 birders to agree on anything...

But, in the end, hunters and birders want exactly the same thing – a sky full of birds.