Date: 4/8/18 3:06 pm
From: Jim Nelson <kingfishers2...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Montgomery Bird Club walk at Hughes Hollow Sunday, April 8
I led a bird walk for the Montgomery Bird Club this morning at Hughes
Hollow--McKee-Beshers Wildlife Management Area in Montgomery County this
cold but sunny Sunday morning.  We had an enthusiastic group of birders
and got to see good birds.

Our complete species list is below.  We observed 53 species. Highlights
were the continuing Marsh Wren, Blue-winged Teal, two Wilson's Snipe
giving us a good view (calling later from the reeds in the first
impoundment), many yellow Palm Warblers and Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, Barn
and Northern Rough-winged Swallows joining the many Tree Swallows, a
hunting Osprey and two calling Cooper's Hawks, a calling Barred Owl,
lots of Eastern Phoebes, a Savannah Sparrow along with the Song and
Swamp Sparrows, singing male Ruby-crowned Kinglets, and lingering Rusty
Blackbirds.  We encountered a flock of, mostly female, Red-winged
Blackbirds back in the fields which appeared to be migrants staging
before heading farther north, presumably to join males already on
territory wherever they were bound.

A great morning to be out birding.

Jim Nelson

Bethesda, MD

Hughes Hollow - McKee Beshers WLMA, Montgomery, Maryland, US
Apr 8, 2018 6:53 AM - 11:51 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.1 mile(s)
Comments: Bird walk for Montgomery Bird Club. Mostly clear, breezy in the latter part of the walk, temperature rising from 28 to about 40 F.
53 species (+6 other taxa)

Canada Goose 10
Wood Duck 5
Blue-winged Teal 3
Mallard 3
Ring-necked Duck 30
Hooded Merganser 3
Pied-billed Grebe 3
Double-crested Cormorant 1
Great Blue Heron 1
Black Vulture 1
Turkey Vulture 10
Osprey 1
Cooper's Hawk 2
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Buteo sp. 2
American Coot (Red-shielded) 22
Wilson's Snipe 2
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 5
Barred Owl 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 5
Downy Woodpecker 1
Downy Woodpecker (Eastern) 2
Northern Flicker 5
Eastern Phoebe 8
Blue Jay 4
American Crow 1
crow sp. 1
Northern Rough-winged Swallow 3
Tree Swallow 25
Barn Swallow 3
Carolina Chickadee 8
Tufted Titmouse 2
Brown Creeper 1
Marsh Wren 1 Continuing bird. Smaller than Carolina Wren, rufous on tail, back, and wings, paler underneath, with white supercilium and distinct black-and-white stripes on the back immediately behind the head.
Carolina Wren 11
wren sp. 1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 10
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 4
Eastern Bluebird 2
Hermit Thrush 2
American Robin 1
Northern Mockingbird 1
European Starling 2
Palm Warbler (Yellow) 14
Yellow-rumped Warbler 24
Dark-eyed Junco 2
White-throated Sparrow 15
Savannah Sparrow 1
Song Sparrow 6
Swamp Sparrow 5
sparrow sp. 5
Northern Cardinal 28
Red-winged Blackbird 50 Large flock of females with a few males away from marshy area was apparently migrants staging to move farther north, separate from the males on territory in the marsh and the females seen in the marsh with those males. Count includes both and is conservative
Brown-headed Cowbird 4
Rusty Blackbird 4
House Finch 1
American Goldfinch 4