Date: 4/8/18 2:21 pm
From: Jonathan Center <jbcenter...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] BBC- Ipswich River Wildlife Sanctuary, Apr 8, 2018

The Brookline Bird Club enjoyed a walk around the Mass Audubon's Ipswich River Wildlife Sanctuary in Topsfield. Four participants joined the leader on a cold and windy morning. Best birds were an active Pileated Woodpecker that appeared to be excavating a nest hole and an audible (calling and soft drumming) Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. Both of these birds were in the beech grove beyond the canoe launch area. Warren Tattro had been in this area before our group arrived and had very good looks at the sapsucker. It was an adult male. He pointed to a spot on a tree where it had bored holes for sap and observed it working that area. We waited in this area for 15-20 minutes after Warren left hoping to spot the sapsucker, but we not relocate it.

Other non avian sightings were a beaver swimming (and at point could be seen under water near the Stone Bridge) and a Spotted Turtle seen up-close. My group seemed not to realize that this is a different species than the E. Painted Turtle.

See complete species list below.

Jonathan Center
<jbcenter...>
Chelmsford

Ipswich River Wildlife Sanctuary, Essex, Massachusetts, US
Apr 8, 2018 7:55 AM - 10:50 AM
Protocol: Traveling
3.5 mile(s)
Comments: Brookline Bird Club trip led by Jonathan Center
27 species

Canada Goose 7
Wood Duck 2
Mallard 4
Bufflehead 4
Great Blue Heron 1
Great Egret 4
Mourning Dove 4
Red-bellied Woodpecker 6
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 1
Downy Woodpecker 2
Northern Flicker 2
Pileated Woodpecker 1 actively flying from tree to tree, calling often, excavating possible nest hole in beech
Blue Jay 1
American Crow 2
Tree Swallow 4
Black-capped Chickadee 10