Date: 4/8/18 9:53 am
From: Marc Ribaudo via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Fwd: eBird Report - VA-Dyke Marsh - CMN02, Apr 8, 2018

The weekly walk at Dyke Marsh, led my Marc Ribaudo and Gerry Hawkins, tallied 67 species this morning. The walk is sponsored by The Friends of Dyke Marsh and is open to all. Limited waterfowl this morning, with most action in the marina and south of the boardwalk in the more protected waters. We saw a number of nicely plumaged horned grebes, a couple of pied-billed grebes, and both common and red-breasted mergansers. We saw only 3 Bonaparte's gulls (we were hoping for more), but a flock of 30 Caspian terns on the mudflats was impressive. The eagle nest along Haul Road apparently has a youngster in it and the parents were in attendance. Some other highlights were a peregrine falcon perched on the Wilson Bridge, 2 singing winter wrens, 2 creepers, singing ruby-crowned kinglets, a common yellowthroat, a hermit thrush, and a single purple martin.

Marc Ribaudo

<moribaudo...>

VA-Dyke Marsh - CMN02, Fairfax, Virginia, US

Apr 8, 2018 7:17 AM - 10:47 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.25 mile(s)

67 species (+1 other taxa)

Canada Goose 18
Mallard 6
Ring-necked Duck 2
Greater Scaup 2
Lesser Scaup 40
Bufflehead 8
Common Merganser 5
Red-breasted Merganser 11
Pied-billed Grebe 3
Horned Grebe 10
Double-crested Cormorant 175
Great Blue Heron 1
Turkey Vulture 6
Osprey 12 Includes an individual on the nearby nest at the marina, which is photographed below
Bald Eagle 8 Includes adults in a nest on a distant power line structure across the GW Parkway and high in a nearby tree along Haul Road
Red-tailed Hawk 1
American Coot 30
Bonaparte's Gull 3
Ring-billed Gull 300
Herring Gull 30
Caspian Tern 30
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 4
Mourning Dove 7
Belted Kingfisher 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 4
Downy Woodpecker 5
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted) 4
Peregrine Falcon 1 Perched in the usual spot on a trestle to the Wilson Bridge.
Eastern Phoebe 2
Blue Jay 6
American Crow 2
Fish Crow 15
crow sp. 6
Northern Rough-winged Swallow 12
Purple Martin 1 Solitary male in flight near the end of Haul Road.
Tree Swallow 30
Barn Swallow 6
Carolina Chickadee 9
Tufted Titmouse 3