Date: 4/7/18 7:49 pm
From: Stefan Martin via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Today's COA Gull Workshop- a note
There were about 50 participants at Stratford Point this morning for what
turned out to be a very productive Gull Workshop! Other than Nick’s
PowerPoint, I’d say everybody genuinely enjoyed themselves! (Only teasing).
A big thank you to Nick Bonomo for leading today’s workshop. He really did
a fantastic job covering this group of birds and was able to explain the
intricacies of molt cycles and hybrids while still holding an audience
(Other than Patrick and I when the Iceland flew past the window). It turns
out that Stratford seemed to be the hotspot today and the group was treated
to great views of a 1st cylcle Thayer's Gull and a 1cy Iceland Gull rock
scraping before the presentation was even over. Thank you to all of today’s
scouts for doing an excellent job keeping track of activity along the
coast. The Stratford Seawall by Marnick’s produced some excellent views of
a 1cy Iceland Gull and an incredibly cooperative adult Bonaparte’s Gull. We
stayed here for a while picking through the evolving flocks of plankton
feeding birds while studying the different cycle combinations of Herring,
Ring-billed and Great black-backed Gulls. From here we moved to Long beach
where the flock moved much closer to shore and grew drastically in size
with an estimated total of Brant and Gulls surpassing 12k birds. All in
all, it was a great day! Thank you to everyone who participated in today's
fantastic gulling adventure and I look forward to next time.

Highlights and Totals-
1 Thayer's
10-11 Iceland (many 1cy, 3-4 adults)
1 Lesser black-backed