Date: 4/7/18 3:50 pm
From: George Hammond <worldsmith...>
Subject: Re: [birders] turkey vultures roost
Did a little web searching on repelling and attracting turkey vultures.

Turkey vultures are protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, but that protects the birds themselves, not the roosting sites. I didn’t find anything about roosts being protected.

There used to be a non-profit Turkey Vulture Society. They have apparently closed up shop, but maintain a small web site. Here is their page on discouraging turkey vultures. They say the best thing is a motion-activated sprinkler:
https://turkeyvulturesociety.wordpress.com/quick-facts/discouraging-vultures/ <https://turkeyvulturesociety.wordpress.com/quick-facts/discouraging-vultures/>

If the birds roosting locations are narrow (railings, roof ridges, particular branches), this pest control company page suggests electrified cables along roost sites (non-lethal) or “bird spikes” - not actually sharp pointed spikes, but vertical metal tabs that are hard to perch on.
http://pestkill.org/birds/turkey-vultures/ <http://pestkill.org/birds/turkey-vultures/>

Audubon magazine had a substantial article on black vultures in suburbia, with descriptions of USDA efforts to move roosts, in 2008:
http://www.audubon.org/magazine/november-december-2008/vultures-take-over-suburbia

USDA’s National Wildlife Research Center has been studying vultures and vulture management for some time. Here’s a brochure from them with some information:
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/wildlife_damage/nwrc/downloads/vulture%20brochure_FINAL.pdf <https://www.aphis.usda.gov/wildlife_damage/nwrc/downloads/vulture%20brochure_FINAL.pdf>
Here’s contact information for the Michigan office of their Wildlife Services unit that might be able to help with vultures.

As to attracting them, all I could find is the obvious: put out meat or carcasses for them to eat. Here are a couple of blog posts by birders who did:

http://blog.aba.org/2012/06/feeding-turkey-vultures.html <http://blog.aba.org/2012/06/feeding-turkey-vultures.html>

https://billofthebirds.blogspot.com/2007/10/big-pile-o-meat.html <https://billofthebirds.blogspot.com/2007/10/big-pile-o-meat.html>

hope this is useful,

George