Date: 4/7/18 12:49 pm
From: Karen Markey <ylime...>
Subject: [birders] Early spring (4/7) field trip report to the Arb
Despite one of the coldest (21 degrees) starts in recent memory, our group
of 17 birders were successful finding early spring migrants. Today's field
trip began with split-second views of an elusive Winter wren in the second
inlet. We relocated to the boardwalk where a more accommodating Winter wren
flitted atop this and that pile of fallen timber.

Thanks to Juliet, Norka, David, Jim, and Andrew who were quick to identify
high-pitched songs and calls of Brown creepers, Golden-crowned kinglets,
and Cedar waxwings. The singing Fox sparrow continues on the western
north-south road, north of the lookout point on the walk to Geddes, beyond
the far western bank between the cemetery and backyard of the immense
private home where lots of brush and branches have been cut and put in
piles. A lone Yellow-bellied sapsucker continues a little north on the same
north-south road. Schoolgirl's Glen was quite productive.

Special thanks to our large contingent of veteran birders who helped new
birders spot the goodies.

The highlight of the day was Andrew's sighting, “It's a ..." We waited what
seemed to be an eternity for him to finish, " ... Yellow-rumped warbler,"
and all rejoiced seeing the first warbler of the season!

Thanks to Norka and Juliet for compiling eBird lists. Here's a list of all
birds seen or heard by one or more Arb birders:

Nichols Arboretum, Washtenaw, Michigan, US
Apr 7, 2018 7:59 AM - 12:06 PM
Protocol: Traveling
3.4 mile(s)
38 species (+1 other taxa)