Date: 4/7/18 11:39 am
From: Clayton Koonce <cg.koonce...>
Subject: [MDBirding] 5 horned grebes at Lake Kittamaqundi (plus 2 Bonaparte's gulls)
Yesterday, 6 pied-billed grebes and 2 horned grebes were still on Lake Kittamaqundi in Columbia. The latter have been here for about a week, and one of them was here longer than that when the second arrived. Today, I had 5 horned grebes on the lake (and the pied-billed were down to 3 visible). The 2 earlier horned were still together on the central section. 3 more were down at the south end. They are in different stages of plumage development, with one bird in complete breeding plumage. Photos are in my checklist linked below.

While I was looking at the new horned grebes, 2 Bonaparte's gulls showed up and flew up the lake. (Could they be the same reported by others at Centennial Lake today or another pair?) They are my first Howard County Bonapartes. Things continued to be interesting when I walked up to the north end and found myself as close to a bald eagle as I've ever been (also a photo in the checklist). This walk and count started with my FOY/FOS brown thrasher, too. Palm warblers, pine warblers and blue-gray gnatcatchers have been found here by others in the past week -- I've seen the warblers but not the gnatcatchers yet this year.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44327649

Thanks for reading. Great birding!

Clayton Koonce
Columbia, Md.