Date: 4/7/18 9:40 am
From: Larry Meade via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] NVBC at Silver Lake
This morning, twelve birders from the Northern Virginia Bird Club came out for a walk at Silver Lake Park in Haymarket. The weather was chilly and windy and the light was muted under the gray skies. Birds seemed to be undercover much of the time. Even so, we managed to tally fifty species with several FOY species for most of us. The first notable bird we encountered was a Lesser Yellowlegs feeding in shallow water near the shoreline of the lake. A Belted Kingfisher and a Red-shouldered Hawk also made appearances. From the parking lot, we heard a singing Chipping Sparrow and later we saw a couple of Northern Rough-winged Swallows fly over. Other highlights included a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, four Palm Warblers, Bufflehead, Ruby-crowned Kinglets, a Pied-billed Grebe, a male Gadwall, Killdeer and Hermit Thrushes. We usually see Red-headed Woodpeckers at this location, but no luck today. Let's all hope that this is the last weekend of winter weather.

Larry Meade
Merrifield, VA