Date: 4/7/18 8:49 am
Subject: Duckhunting.com vs Carolinabirds
Reading more on the internet than just Carolinabirds (when my poor internet connection and my other tasks permit), I found Duckhunting.com (re Buckhorn Reservoir). Seems the duckhunting community is rather young and "male", dissing the Bernie crowd, sort of like the negative responses I got for attempting to get those in the know to discuss sexual harrassment of birders by birding people.

Reading the duckhunting website helped give me some perspective on "you guys". People boasting about killing more ducks than other hunters. Twitchers boasting about their finds. (All OK.)

Reminds me of what I find lacking in both Farm Bureau and Audubon. Hardly objective. Not I, nor they.

The duck hunters discuss their issues and the birders discuss theirs. Both wrong and both right. Not driven by data.

For example, Derb Carter gets dissed and threatened on lots of blogs, re Red Wolf, for example.

But, that does not make him right when he relates poor waterbird productivity on the Outer Banks to less restriction on motorized traffic on the beaches.

Where's the data? I would, for the sake of his argument, allow the birds are doing worse.

Consider the fact that Nag's Head town hired a trapper who took out 17 (?) coyotes (and PETA protested, saying we should instead drop the coyotes off in a different neighborhood). The coyotes were roaming the beaches; the hunter said they just used the beaches to move up and down the coastline. And, now the internet states Dare Count was the last NC county to be invaded by coyotes, and now these "dogs" are all the way to Hatteras.

OOPS. Do I need data to remember that coyotes are major predators on sea turtle nests in Central and South America? Do I need data to make the assertion that if I were a coyote and walked up and down the beach that I would clean up Piping Plovers, Oystercatchers and skimmers?

Then, jumping to the (improbable?) conclusion that coyotes are very likely part of the bad news for our birds (though, hopefully, they might reduce the numbers of raccoons, another species that is very bird-friendly), there are any number of greater stretches:

if the birds cannot make it with coyotes, then just let the ORVs have the entire beach. End of problem.

Or, if the WRC says one cannot remove coyotes after February, maybe we need some better administration of the WRC. I mean, the coyotes were checked for Red Wolf blood, and island Dare County almost certainly lacks Red Wolves (which obviously are fully ready, willing and able to hybridize with coyotes). Talk about mismanaged bureaucracy.

(I believe we need bureaucracy, better than systems where bribery and nepotism are prime movers, but somebody needs to get everybody together to eradicate coyotes from the Outer Banks islands, just as somebody needs to get a move on to slow down and eradicate pythons in Florida. Maybe SELC could start some lawsuits---I know they exclude Florida from their purview, but do we have to wait for breeing pythons in Georgia and Alabama?) (Personally, I favor eradicating ORVs from beaches, at least in springtime.)

What are we to do, if everybody is right and everybody is wrong?

Might talk about it and stop taking offence.

More on WRC in next post.

One could as well relate the poor productivity of those waterbirds to this item: Nags Head trapped out

Frank Enders, Halifax, NC

Join us on Facebook!