Date: 4/7/18 6:02 am
From: Richard Garrigus <rgarrigus...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Re: Northern Shoveler on Mill Creek Pond
Correction: NSHO! (can't believe I slipped up on that, must have been all
the excitement of finding that bird)

With the four-letter banding code, all you have to remember are the
exceptions, and NSHO and NSHR are good examples. In a two-word name without
hyphens the first two letters of each word are used. For Northern Shoveler
and Northern Shrike that presents an obstacle: the usual pattern produces
NOSH for both. So...in this case the first letter of the first word and
first three of the second (they tend to emphasize the group name in
creating distinctions) are used. Thus NSHO and NSHR.

A common example is Canada Goose and Cackling Goose. Normal pattern is the
same: CAGO. (I see this often on the listserv, which sometimes makes my
heart race thinking a Cackling Goose is about) In this case the descriptors
'Canada' and 'Cackling' are used to separate the two species. Thus CANG and
CACG.

We're quickly coming up on the time when a tricky example arises with the
overlap on the black-throated warblers, luckily we don't often have to deal
with the third bird in that set: Black-throated Gray Warbler. BUT it does
affect the code for all three. If you're curious and see me out on the
trail, feel free to ask! Or here, but I remember the stir the subject
creates.

It's so simple even I can mess it up!!

Richard