Date: 4/6/18 6:06 pm
From: Karyn Delaney <delaneykaryn...>
Subject: Butler County - Moraine State Park
We met Bob VanNewkirk at Bear Run Boat Launch early this afternoon after he
called to tell us of the numbers of Horned Grebes, Buffleleads and other
waterfowl. He also found Long-tailed Ducks while we were on our way. We
counted 40 of them. Mixed in with the Buffleheads and Ruddy Ducks, we saw
Lesser Scaup, Redheads, and a single Wigeon, Northern Shoveler and
Canvasback. Many Common Loons were also present. At the South Shore Boat
Launch we saw Pied-billed Grebes, Ring-necked Ducks, Coots and a pair of
Blue-Winged Teal.

Considering the large numbers seen at the South Shore, it was very
surprising to see only a few Buffleheads and Ruddy Ducks at the Waterfowl
Observation Platform. Ray did find a pair of Wood Ducks floating among the
trees in the high water around the Platform. Horned Grebes were present and
we did see a Belted Kingfisher.

Ray and I continued to the North Shore and from Windsurfer Point we found 8
more Long-tailed Ducks, Horned Grebes, Common Loons, Buffleheads, and Ruddy
Ducks. I also believe there was a Red-throated Loon here, but I couldn't
relocate it after the first view.

At Watts Bay, there was a huge raft of Lesser Scaup with many Redhead Ducks
mixed in. Horned Grebes and Common Loons were here also.

Lastly, from Nealys Point there were Pied-billed and Horned Grebes, Common
Loons, a raft of Red-breasted Mergansers and many Bonaparte's Gulls.

Thanks to Bob for calling us today. It certainly was not to be missed.

Karyn and Ray Delaney

Join us on Facebook!