Date: 4/6/18 4:00 pm
From: Alan Buriak <a_buriak...>
Subject: Even bigger fallout, Lock #7 - Armstrong County
After my earlier email about the large number of Buffleheads and Horned Grebes above Dam 6 at Clinton on the Allegheny River, I was notified by Sam Gutherie of a huge collection of birds above Dam 7 at Kittanning, although at the time he didn't have a scope with him to get exact counts. I headed up there to the Tarrtown side with a scope to get the full view and ended up carefully counting 313 Buffleheads, 87 Horned Grebes, 12 Long-tailed Ducks, and some Ruddy Ducks and Lesser Scaup as well. It was pretty unbelievable to see. About 90% of the birds were stretched out along the bank above the dam closer to the Kittanning side and the rest were just below the dam. The weather tonight just might keep a good number of these birds around until tomorrow.

Good birding,
Alan Buriak
Gibsonia, Allegheny County