Date: 4/6/18 9:40 am
From: Sally K. Scheer <winerat...>
Subject: [birders] turkey vultures roost
We have Turkey Vultures who roost in a dead tree in our side yard. We LOVE
having them there, perched on the very top of the highest dead trunks. We
watch them every day.

CLINTON village has a different opinion and I wondered if some of the
experts or more experienced bird lovers on this list might have a better
solution than they've come up with.

Every day at dawn and dusk the Village fires off air horns to disrupt them
in their roosts at the Community Center and the cemetery. I think their dawn
air horns are useless. From observing our vultures, I think the birds can't
take off before there are thermals for them to ride. Right??

As to the air horns at dusk, I question their effectiveness too. The birds
have chosen to roost in these two places because of the availability of
appropriate trees and thermals. Is this also correct? Or am I drawing
erroneous conclusions?

Here's the big question: is there a way that will not harm the vultures (our
natural cleanup squad) but will urge them to roost elsewhere? For instance,
we'd welcome them to our property a mile north of town. Is there a way we
could encourage them to move in our direction and leave Clinton? The village
is claiming they are making a very big mess in the cemetery and at the
community center. I have not checked out the roost myself so I don't know
how much of a mess they have made. I do know that our vultures have not
made any visible mess on our property, but we have acreage here.

Sally Scheer
Bridgewater Township just north of Clinton

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/005b01d3cdc5%24ef246eb0%24cd6d4c10%24%40com.