Date: 4/6/18 7:54 am
From: Jim Berry <jim.berry3...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Fwd: eBird Report - Bald Hill Reservation, Apr 5, 2018
Bald Hill Reservation, Boxford

Apr 5, 2018 9:05 AM - 12:10 PM
Protocol: Traveling
3.0 mile(s)
Comments: Birders should know that conditions at Crooked Pond have really changed. The water level in the pond is higher than I have ever seen it, perhaps by a foot or two (just a guess). The main trail (the old dirt road) along the north side of the pond now appears to be completely under water. So I walked along the south side to the back of the pond. Crossing the dam at the back of the pond is out of the question, because it too is completely underwater. You can barely see where the dam even was! This means that Crooked Pond now extends several hundred yards behind the dam and is much larger. There are many dead trees back there, and though I saw 3 great blue herons there I did not see any nests (yet). I continued up the trail that runs from post 13 up through that draw; this trail too is more flooded than before and also has many downed trees, making the going harder. From post 26 at the top of the draw I went right (i.e., straight) through posts 21, 21, 23!
, 24, and 25, and from there I went to the right, back down to the main pond trail just below the outlet dam, completing my loop. On a cold windy day I didn't hear or see many birds, but did find a few less common ones. But even the blackbirds were absent around the pond, probably due in part to the high water level.
17 species

Canada Goose 5
Wood Duck 10
Mallard 1
Hooded Merganser 2
Great Blue Heron 3
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Eastern Phoebe 1
Blue Jay 1
American Crow 1
Black-capped Chickadee 7
Tufted Titmouse 7
Red-breasted Nuthatch 1
Brown Creeper 4 (3 singing; saw mate of one)
Golden-crowned Kinglet 2
Northern Cardinal 1
Red-winged Blackbird 1
American Goldfinch 2