Date: 4/5/18 3:37 pm
From: Rich MacDonald <rich...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] MDI FOYs
I have had a number of First Of Year birds here on and around Mount Desert
Islands these last few days, including:

02 April ‹ Great Blue Heron at the head of MDI was a day later than my
yearly average
‹ American Kestrel on Norway Drive, Bar Harbor, right where I always find my
FOY

04 April ‹ 9 Snow Goose at Ladyslipper Farm, Lamoine, were a treat; some
years I miss SNGO in Hancock County
‹ A Northern Shoveler pair overhead while jogging with my dog were readily
identifiable by their oversized, spatulate bill; we refund them in the Red
Rock Corner wetland on the return run

05 April ‹ Wilson¹s Snipe at the MDI High School ponds (two of the three are
finally open)
‹ Eastern Phoebe desperately looking for food around Acadia National Park¹s
Great Meadow

Richard MacDonald
The Natural History Center
P.O. Box 6