Date: 4/5/18 10:30 am
From: Crossley <thebrit1...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Dusky Canada Goose
I just read Yong's piece on Dusky Canada Geese. We just published The
Crossley ID Guide: Waterfowl (with Paul Baicich and Jessie Barry). We cover
the Cackling and Canada Goose in some detail. They are a very complex group
and there is still so much to learn about them. I had the good fortune to
spend some time travelling the continent looking at them, often being
confused, recognizing the futility of trying to identify some subspecies and
finding a few things that were definitely a surprise. For instance, there is
no known breeding record of Lesser Canada Goose for Canada, contrary to what
all the literature says (yes, we authors do sometimes copy others without
knowing). I assume the Lesser Canada Goose, as we know it, will turn out to
be mass hallucination, and the dark 'small' Canada Geese best known from the
Anchorage area will turn out to be the Canadas that have a slightly
different DNA to the bigger ones. These Alaskan Lesser Canadas in turn form
what some consider a cline with Dusky and Vancouver Island birds - getting
smaller to the north as other geese do. Putting nature in a nice square box
to tick is not always that simple . thankfully!

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi

Join us on Facebook!