Date: 4/5/18 9:22 am
From: wrenyen <medea.steinman...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Re: More Tree Swallows and an Osprey in Gardiner
I don't think I can include URL links in these messages but I'll try:
http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/692208/?sc=swhn.
In case that didn't work, it was supposed to be a link to a short blurb
from Newswise.com about a Cornell study appearing in *Ecology Letters* on
this very topic.

Here's the blurb entitled "Study: Climate Change Could Impact Critical Food
Supplies for Migratory Birds."(Newswise does not include author
attributions for their news blurbs):

*Newswise — Ithaca, NY--*Climate change could disrupt a critical fueling-up
stage for migratory birds just as they’re preparing to depart on their
autumn journeys to Central America, according to research published in the
journal *Ecology Letters*.

Cornell Lab of Ornithology research ecologist Frank La Sorte developed
computer models of predicted changes in climate for every week of the year
in the Western Hemisphere. These models were then overlaid with weekly
estimates of abundance for 77 migratory bird species that fly between
breeding grounds in North America and non-breeding grounds in Mexico and
Central America. La Sorte used bird observations from the eBird
citizen-science database, an online program run by the Cornell Lab of
Ornithology.

La Sorte's research pinpointed a period in late summer in the temperate
zone of North America when the climate is projected to be significantly
different from the historical norm. That change in climate, La Sorte says,
could affect insect and plant communities, which in turn would threaten
food resources for migratory birds during the crucial stage when they’re
bulking up and layering on fat reserves to fuel their autumn migration
journey.

Most at-risk, La Sorte says, would be eastern migratory birds that fly
greater distances and require large fuel reserves, and the juvenile birds
that just hatched a few months earlier and are undertaking their first
migration—a hazardous journey that can be extremely energetically taxing.

"Using bird observations from eBird, our study provides an unprecedented
level of spatial and temporal detail, allowing us to identify locations and
times when migratory bird populations may be at particular risk under
future climate change," said La Sorte. "This information is important
because it advances our understanding of the unique challenges migratory
birds are likely to face in the future, and where and when the application
of conservation efforts may achieve the greatest benefits."