Date: 4/5/18 8:01 am
From: Johnson, Alyssa <ajohnson...>
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Van tours with Montezuma Audubon Staff!
Good snowy morning!

Here at the Montezuma Audubon Center in Savannah, we accumulated a quick couple of fluffy inches of lake affect snow. Despite that, the birds are active. I counted 8 great blue herons on my drive in this morning, all flying over Tschache Pool on Route 89 at Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge. On East Road, I pulled in for a quick listen at the Knox Marcellus Marsh, also at MNWR. I could barely see the marsh down below, but could hear ducks moving around. Finally, arriving at the MAC, as I was shoveling the sidewalk, an adult bald eagle flew overhead during a brief break in the snow fall.

Below are a list of a few upcoming van tours that I'm offering this spring! I've also included a link to all of our upcoming spring programming.
http://ny.audubon.org/education/montezuma-audubon-center-programs-and-events

4April 13, Friday 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Montezuma's Bird Migration Van Tour

The Montezuma Wetlands Complex is Audubon's first globally significant Important Bird Area because of the incredible number of ducks, geese and swans that stop here during the spring and fall migrations. Enjoy a leisurely ride in the Audubon van for an excursion to Montezuma's birding hot spots where a variety of waterfowl, songbirds, shorebirds, and breeding Osprey and Bald Eagles can be seen. Binoculars and field guides will be provided. Fee: $8/child; $15/adult.
4May 10, Thursday 5:00 p.m.- 8:00 p.m.
Montezuma Birdwatching Tour
The Montezuma Wetlands Complex is teeming with migratory songbirds, marsh birds, and other wildlife this time of year. Join us for an evening van tour through the Montezuma's marshes, forests and grasslands to explore the abundant wildlife as they prepare for their nocturnal activities. Bring your camera to capture images of the beautiful habitats and wildlife. Binoculars and field guides provided. Fee: $8/child, $15/adult.

4May 19, Saturday 11:00p.m.-2:00p.m.
Warblers and Wine Van Tour
Join us for our first trip to Thorpe Vineyard, located along the Lake Ontario shoreline in Wolcott. During the tour, guests will sample award winning wines at the winery and walk around nearby Chimney Bluffs State Park to search for Warblers including the Cerulean, American Redstart, Blackpoll, Black-throated Blue and nearly two dozen other Warbler species. Must be 21+ to participate. PRE-PAID RESERVATIONS REQUIRED. Fee: $20/adult, includes wine tasting.

4May 26, Saturday 8:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m.
Howland's Island Van Tour
Spring songbird migration and breeding season is underway so join us for an early morning tour behind the locked gates of Howland's Island. We'll drive onto the island and make stops along the way listening and looking for migrants like the Warbling Vireo, Scarlet Tanager, and nearly two dozen Warbler species. We'll also highlight the 10,000 year cultural and natural history of this unique island habitat. PRE-PAID RESERVATIONS REQUIRED. Binoculars and bird guides will be provided. Fee: $8/child; $15/adult.

Alyssa Johnson
Environmental Educator
Montezuma Audubon Center
2295 State Route 89