Date: 4/4/18 1:26 pm
From: Harvey Tomlinson <oddbirdsin...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Heislerville Phenom
Hi Jersey Birders,
After seeing Sandra Keller's report (Stilt sandpipers) and Brian Johnson's
(Ruff) at Heislerville yesterday I couldn't help myself this morning.
I arrived at 7am (low tide) to a foggy wind blown impoundment. There were
appox 1500 shorebirds around the perimeter.
I thought this was good news as it was low tide and things were hopping.
I found a total of 5 Stilt sandpipers in the SE corner.
Unfortunately no Ruff...
I birded the impoundment for 2 hrs and had a nice showing of Both
Yellowlegs, 20+ SB Dowitchers,2 Snipe,and hundreds of Dunlin.
I went over to East Point and watched an OUTRAGEOUS flight of Gannets past
East Point parking lot..!!!!!!!!!!
East Point cove was covered by water at 10am so I went back to
Heislerville.
Much to my surprise there were only 50 or so Yellowlegs hanging around. The
rest of the flock had left.
Sandra and Brian must have caught a traveling flock that got put down with
yesterday's weather.
With S winds to their back I believe they moved on.
It's early yet.
Seeing Stilt's and Ruff before the local Willets arrive is crazy.
Nice to see Heislerville is setting up to be the premier place in NJ for
spring shorebirding.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/shearh2o/
Good Birding,
Harvey Tomlinson