Date: 4/4/18 11:18 am
From: Nick Bonomo via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] COA Gull Workshop, Saturday 4/7
Hi all,

I'm looking forward to this weekend's gull workshop. Here is a brief
rundown of the plan for those of you hoping to attend. We will start at 8am
with a presentation on gull identification at Stratford Point. From there,
we will search the coast for gull flocks, which tend to be very mobile at
this time of year! It may take some time to find our quarry. Our most
likely first stop in the field will be Southport Beach in Fairfield, due to
its history of producing gull variety in early April. After
Southport/Fairfield we would then work our way back to the east, chasing
the flocks as needed. However, this is not set in stone - we will start
wherever the late week reports dictate. There is no set end time for the
workshop as we will be making several stops, and the gulls' habits are very
unpredictable! Feel free to leave at any point in our travels. Stefan
Martin will also be leading the field portion of the workshop.

At the presentation we will talk about the spring gull migration through
Connecticut and what causes them to concentrate here. The talk will be
geared towards all levels, with an aim to simplify gull ID for those who
have not spent much time studying gulls. Many photos will be shown!

It is worth mentioning that there is supposed to be a snow event not very
far to our south on Saturday. There is a chance it could track far enough
north to bring us snow and postpone the workshop to SUNDAY (4/8). We will
post a decision Friday PM.

Hope to see many of you there, assuming Mother Nature cooperates :)

Let me know if any questions.

Dress warmly! Winter refuses to leave...

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT

"The COA Gull Workshop, led by Nick Bonomo, will be held on Saturday, April
7th starting with an indoor session at 8AM at Stratford Point. After the
indoor session we will follow the gulls along the coast.

All are welcome, bring a scope if you have one

Bill Batsford

COA Workshop Coordinator"